Monday, February 6, 2012

Shatter Me

That awesome feeling when you read two excellent books in a row. *shivers with happiness*
Here is a review of one of the two books.

Shatter Me 
by Tahereh Mafia

Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days. 

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color. 

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now. 

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.


Rating 4.5/5  stars
Published November 1st 2011 
Series: Yes, trilogy, other two books not yet released.
Swoon Scale: Hearts In My Eyes, Longing Filled Sigh, Melting in The Excess of Love, 
Heated Moments: Yes
Sex: No 
Swear Words: Not that I can recall.
Action: Yeah
Romance swoon scale: 4.8/5 stars 



I absolutely LOVED THIS BOOK AAAAHHHH.
*excuse me while i compose myself*
Ahem.

Shatter Me was incredible. It had everything a good book has:


The story:
It sucked me in straight away. I picked this book up at 8pm, and put it down at 1am. I read without pausing- it was just. So. Good! The action bits were brilliantly done- I was so scared for them at all the right bits- at the edge of my seat at some and no matter where I was in the book- it never once got boring.
The dystopian element, though not fully explained, made sort of sense. 
This book is a part of a series so I expect all will be revealed in the other parts- but the best thing about Shatter Me?
IT CAN BE READ AS A STAND ALONE TOO! The ending left me completely content- with a super warm fuzzzy feeling inside- but I will most def pick up the sequel when it comes!

Romance
The pure, unadulterated love between Adam and Juliette? I swooned a thousand times and drank it all up as fast as i could. It warmed my insides and made me feel just so entirely happy for them- sigh. I don't even have the words to describe it. The way TM describes feelings- its just so beautiful!
A quote from the book:

I tiptoe forward and he pulls me into his arms. Breathes in the scent of my hair and kisses the side of my head and I’ve never felt anything so incredible in my life. I’m not even human anymore. I’m so much more. The sun and the moon have merged and the earth is upside down.
Sigh.
(Keeping in mind that Juliette has not touched anyone in a year, and has not known touchy-feely love since she was a baby)
The Writing:
This is a book where the actual writing stands out on it own unsupported and apart from everything else.
It was beautifully lyrical and rich with imagery and this sweetness.
The broken words were perfectly broken and bittersweet and all the raw emotion? You could actually feel Juliette's love pouring out of her. It was exquisite.

Adam:
Absolute love. The deep, sweet kind.

Juliette:

I loved her. She was the perfect blend of broken but incredibly strong. I loved how she grew from being a broken shell, into a fiery spirit. I really liked her shyness and just how down to earth she was! But being all that- she was still loyal and brave, and did not cower but faced everything head on.

Over all, this was a refreshing book.
Yeah there were some glimpses of other well known dystopian books in it- but aren't all dystopians essentially the same thing? Bad corrupt government, cool hidden rebels, intense epicness to save the day? 
Some are better (The Hunger Games/ Uglies/ Delirium) than others (Matched) but rest assured, Shatter Me was one of the best.

Read it!


xx

Clg

3 comments:

  1. Ive been looking everywhere for the Hunger Games! Can't seem to find them anywhere in Isbd! Would you know where to get the entire series?

    Very good review, makes me want to read the book immediately (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just started this book. I'm halfway through and have to put it down but MY GOD I DON'T WANT TO! I know exactly what you mean when you say the writing stands alone. It's amazing. Like poetry but so much less lame. And the repitition of the bird breaks my heart every time.

    This is dystopian but has elements others haven't explored yet. It offers something new which I think is pretty rare.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh , i just finished reading it...
    I'm so upset ;((( I didn't want it to finish, I was reading the last 10 pages very very slow ;DDD
    I can't wait for the sequel!
    of course i loved Adam and Juliette ,but oh god! I loved Warner, he was pretty cruel ,i agree, but i liked him. when he was with Juliette, and kissed her , i really liked that ... despite the fact she shot him ;DD
    I can't wait to see how they will meet in "Unravel Me".
    Oh God, I want another kiss...

    ReplyDelete

Thinking of leaving a comment?
That's why you're awesome.