Monday, February 28, 2011

Wish by Alexandra Bullen



Two weeks ago, I got like 93242483 more ebooks, and one of them was Wish, by Alexandra Bullin.

I had heard good shiz about this book and I was excited to read it, but-
 Wish felt completely FLAT for me.
It was sweet, no doubt about that, but it was also mostly reaaaalllllyyy boring.

Honestly, it only and only got better in the very very very end, where the major 'twist' was, but really otherwise? It was just boring and dragging- (but still sweet though.)

But if you're a tween, looking for a light read, this is def for you!

What its about:

For broken-hearted Olivia Larsen, nothing can change the fact that her twin sister, Violet, is gone... until a mysterious, beautiful gown arrives on her doorstep. The dress doesn't just look magical; it is magical. It has the power to grant her one wish, and the only thing Olivia wants is her sister back.

With Violet again by her side, both girls get a second chance at life. And as the sisters soon discover, they have two more dresses-and two more wishes left. But magic can't solve everything, and Olivia is forced to confront her ghosts to learn how to laugh, love, and live again.

In a breathtaking debut from Alexandra Bullen, WISH asks the question: If you could have anything, what would you wish for?





I mean, MAGIC DRESSES! Why WOULDNT I want to read this?!

Well, thats simple: because where Olivia is white and lifeless, its VIOLET whos actually violet and even though shes dead- full of life.

That would work if Olivia was the main character- but shes not, and even though I know, the 'point' is that Violet helps Olivia grow... I honestly see no growth.
Even when hanging with her so called new friends, Olivia is just so plain and boring! She doesnt say anything insightful or witty, and is litteraly just a pretty face.
I mean, I dont know, her character held no depth whatsoever. Even her mild romance was so dull and- ugh lame. WHY did they like each other, apart from the looks bit?

[mild spoiler!]I also disliked how Olivia started dating Soren RIGHT AFTER he became Calla's ex. I mean, wtf, Call cried over him, she still loves him, and you're naive/selfish enough to go out with him?
I say 'naive' because over all Olivia was a really nice person, but over this bit, she was just plain selfish. [spoiler over]

The bond between the sisters, although pretty cool, them being best friends and everything, was slightly unbelievable. They were just too NICE with each other!
Then the magic dresses bit... dude, Olivia. You have MAGIC DRESSES. Um hello, lets get a bit creative? Or lets just REMEMBER THAT THEY ARE MAGIC AND MAYBE PONDER UPON THE POSSIBILITIES?


The only reason this book is even getting a 1.95 rating out of five, is because of Calla, Olivias best friend, and Violet,her twin. Both had a lot of personality, which I wish I had seen more of!

This book is sweet though, if nothing else. Just because of Olivia's niceness and because of how both Violet and Olivia love each other, and how close they are. Basically I really liked how Viloet was forever looking out for Olivia  and pushing her to do things and 'live' a little.

Wish is a cute, VERY light novel.
Even though the ending is way better than the whole of the book, I dont think its left any sort of mark on me.
Like I said, I think this would be best for TWEENS and not teens.


I really really wanted to like it though so I'm hopeful the next book in the series, Wishful Thinking will be better.

1 comment:

Thinking of leaving a comment?
That's why you're awesome.